Reserve now by selecting the class/event title or selecting the quantity at the bottom of the page.
- This event has passed.
Aquaponics workshop and install @ the Middlebrook Center
June 15, 2013 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Get your hands wet and spend a day learning all about aquaponics at an inspiring place that is dedicated to educating people about urban sustainability. Experts Jon Parr of Fishnet Aquaponics and Roy Nordblom will start the day with an in-depth workshop to teach you all about aquaponics. We will start out in the morning with 3 or more trainers to maximize your time with us and create a comfortable learning environment. We will build a small-footprint media barrel system from start to finish. Kits will be available at the class to take home.
Our morning workshop will cover the following topics:
- What is aquaponics and why it is a great way to grow
- Pros and Cons
- Basics of water chemistry
- Components and functions
- Plant and fish selection
- Flood and drain plumbing, bell siphons
- Construction necessary for a successful AP system.
- Design secrets for smart decisions
- A simple and fool-proof beginner unit plan
- A hands-on build of a unit
- Exploring different types of growing mediums
After the workshop we will break for a snack from the garden. Then Jon, Roy and the other experts will lead the group in a hands-on activity to prepare the Middlebrook Center’s ponds for some new inhabitants including our CA Sacramento perch and crawfish. The information covered in the morning session will sink in deeper as you learn things first hand from the activity.
Our afternoon hands-on activities will include:
- Planting tomatoes and other plants in new growing mediums
- Replant the floating trays
- Replace the Koi with edible fish
- Add Native Sacramento Perch to a new tank
- Add crayfish to a new tank
- Make the system beautiful and safe for student use.
Finally, we will have a yummy lunch provided by the Middlebrook Center’s gardens. You are also welcome to bring and share things from your gardens or favorite market. We will be joined in the afternoon by the San Jose Urban Farming Group that will help with the work in the gardens. This will be a great time to socialize and network with an inspiring group of people.
The work you help us with in the afternoon is in preparation for the Gala Fundraising event happening at the Middlebrook Center on the evening of Saturday June 22. Information and online tickets to this event are available online:
Hope to see you all there for a great day!