Courtesy Mona Anderson.
Measurements are approximate; don’t worry about being exact.
1/2 pound (1 cup) cooked prawns (or shrimp)
2 cups Nopales, diced, cooked, cooled, well drained
1/4 to 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup diced Roma tomato (or any kind)
4 tablespoons lime juice (2 to 3 limes)
1 teaspoon fresh Serrano or Jalapeno pepper (amount to suit your taste), minced
Some cilantro leaves (optional)
Salt to taste
- Combine ingredients and let marinate for about 30 minutes, tossing several times.
- Serve cold on tostada shell.
To cook tender nopales (prickly pear cactus pads):
- Pare off the spines, cut in small cubes.
- In a very large pot, boil in lightly salted water for about 10 minutes.
- Drain, rinse well, and store. Drain again before using.