1/2 ounce Sea Palm fronds
1 small onion, julienned
1 small English cucumber, sliced in 1/4-inch half moons
3 tablespoons Umeboshi (Plum) or other Fruit vinegar
- Quickly rinse and then steam palm fronds in water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain palm fronds and slice in 2-inch lengths.
- Mix fronds with onion and cucumber and season with vinegar.
- Let marinate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Garnish with nasturtiums or sesame seeds, and serve.
Chef’s note: Reserve sea palm soaking water for cooking grains, beans, or vegetable dishes. Adjust salt accordingly.